FROM THE ORIGINS TO THE 1940S: the first silver creations by Sotirio Georgis Bulgari
The first silver creations by Sotirio Georgis Bulgari combined elements of the Byzantine and Islamic traditions with allegorical, floral and foliate motifs. Until the ‘50s Paris was the center for fashion and creative jewellery, thus influencing Sotirio’s production for years: jewels of the early ‘20s were characterised by Art Deco platinum mounts while those of the ‘30s are distinctive for dimensions and geometric motifs in diamonds or combined with a coloured gemstone.
Convertible jewels were also fashionable but one of Bulgari’s greatest and long-standing successes of these years is the TROMBINO, the small trumpet ring.
During the Second World War, jewellery creations were produced in gold with sparing use of precious gemstones and design became softer and more naturalistic.
At the end of the ‘40s Bulgari introduced SERPENTI bracelet-watches: still highly stylised with coils in tubogas or in gold mesh, this watch was subsequently made in varied versions and shapes.
Clip/Brooch in platinum with cabochon sapphire and diamonds, ca. 1938
Necklace/tiara combination in platinum with diamonds, 1935
Necklace, bracelet and triple clip brooch in platinum with rubies and diamonds, ca 1930 - 1935
Trombino ring in platinum with diamonds, 1932, Private Collection
Bracelet/Clip brooch in yellow gold with sapphires, rubies and diamonds, ca 1940
Bracelet in gold, ca 1942
jpg Buckle in gilded silver with green paste, Georgis Boulgaris, ca 1870-1880
Tubogas wristwatch-bracelet in gold, 1949, Private Collection
Bracelet in platinum with emeralds, onyx and diamonds, 1925
Necklace/tiara combination in platinum with diamonds, ca 1935